Huangshan History

Named after the world famous Huangshan Mountain (Yellow Mountian), the city of Huangshan has a history of over 2,200 years. Its two old counties, She County and Yi County, were established just more than 2,000 years ago. Huangshan City was formerly called Xin’an Shire in the Jin Dynasty (265-420AD) when the system of shire and county took shape. Its name was then changed to Huizhou until the Song Dynasty (960-1279). At that time, the city was noted for its Hui business, Hui architecture, Hui carving, the Xin’an school of painting, Hui cuisine and Hui opera. In November 1987, Huangshan City was formally established including 3 districts (Tunxi, Huizhou, and Huangshan Districts), 4 counties (She, Yi, Qimen and Xiuning Counties) as well as the Huangshan Scenery Area, with a total area of 9,807 square kilometers.

Other Useful Resources on Huangshan History

If you know any other website or web page about Huangshan History, please share it here.

Write an email to us  Tel:+86-29-88336611  All Right Reserved.Bookmark and Share